LEADING PROVIDER OF GARAGE DOOR SPRINGS REPLACEMENT IN PORTLAND, SALEM AND VANCOUVER
WE HAVE EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE REPLACING GARAGE DOOR SPRINGS!
Garage door springs are an essential component of your door’s operation system because they counterbalance the weight of the door to make opening and closing it quick and easy. With so much tension riding on these simple garage door parts, maintenance and repair should be handled by a professional who understands the forces at work.
MAIN TYPES OF GARAGE DOOR SPRINGS
Since there are a number of garage door springs available on the market, it helps to know which kind your system uses to ensure the absolute best garage door repair services. The three main types of garage door springs are:
- Torsion springs: These springs are secured to a metal shaft located just above the garage door. They are large, coiled metal springs that you can see directly above the door when it’s closed. Garage door torsion springs work by applying torque to the shaft with drums at each end. When activated, the torsion shaft and spring apparatus turn the lift drums, which winds or unwinds the cables attached to the bottom of the garage door and allows it to open or close.
- Extension springs: These springs are located on both sides of the upper tracks of your garage door opener. They work by using a pulley system that stretches and contracts the springs as the door operates to counterbalance the weight of the door. Garage door extension springs are made specifically to fit the height and weight of your garage door. They hold a tremendous amount of tension, so they should be properly maintained; they can wear out over time.
- Torquemaster spring system: These springs are located above the door like torsion springs, but unlike torsion springs, they are enclosed in a tube and the coil is not visible. Because there are more moving parts, these systems do tend to fail more often. While parts for some newer Torquemaster systems are available, many older systems have parts that are not readily available. In most instances, we suggest replacing this type of spring with torsion springs.
COMMON PROBLEMS WITH GARAGE DOOR SPRINGS
Garage door springs are always under a great deal of pressure, so there are a variety of factors that may cause them to snap including:
- Changes in temperature: Changes in temperature can have a drastic impact on the efficiency and durability of your garage door spring. If your garage door is starting to make a lot of noise or periodically starts or stops when in operation, it may be time for a spring replacement.
- Improperly balanced door: Extension springs are made specifically to fit certain garage door heights and weights. If your garage door is heavier than usual or the wrong size spring is installed, the spring will break and your door will no longer open.
- Wear and tear: Springs rely on tension to hold and release your door, but over time they can stretch and wear out, which decreases their strength and efficiency.Regular maintenance and lubrication can extend the life of your springs, but eventually, they will require professional replacement.
- Metal fatigue: Age and use play a huge role in the life of your springs. While many factors can impact how long your springs last, the two biggest factors are the age of your spring, and how often you use your garage door. Families who use their garage door as their front door, opening and closing the door multiple times a day, will usually see a shorter spring life span than someone who opens the door only a few times per week to access items stored in the garage. If you have two springs on your garage door, we do recommend that you replace both at the same time. If one breaks, the other isn’t far behind.
However you use your door, proper maintenance will keep it in better condition, longer!
RELIABLE GARAGE DOOR REPAIRS
While you may be inclined to try replacing your garage door springs on your own, for your safety, please reconsider. Springs are extremely dangerous to work with if you don’t have the proper training and the proper tools. Leave it to the professionals at Dave’s Garage Doors. Our highly trained technicians have extensive experience replacing garage door springs. We offer quality work, fast turnaround times, and excellent customer service for our customers in Portland, Vancouver, Salem and the surrounding areas.